Friday, December 12, 2008

love letter to my hometown

I was born within your sunny, warm walls 26 years ago and have lived in you for over most of my life. I think it is due time that I thank you, for I know that being enveloped in your surroundings has gently influenced who I am today. As a small child, I grew up eating chikkies and Indian gooseberries from your local shoppe. I walked barefoot in your dark black soil in the summers. I sailed ships made of paper in the tiny river, which flowed in front of our house when it rained. I still have a special place in my heart for both. 

You were my home for so many years; I lived next doors to the most amazing neighbors, that i spent half of my childhood in their home. You had the best school with the most interesting principal, it is in that school of yours I had the most memorable days of my life. 

You have the most beautiful temple, and how I miss visiting the temple each monday. Its funny when I look back now, we used to take turns to keep an eye on our shoes while others go pray. When I think of it now, my palms touching each other, eyes closed, praying in that very crowded temple , I had felt peace,harmony and a sense of belonging which  I have not felt in a long time. 

How can I not mention about the river Krishna which flows through you, on the banks of which I spent most of my childhood summer mornings, Oh how much joy it was to play in the river with my brothers and cousins, and to sit and stare at the sky with my feet in the water,warmth of sun on my back and crisp summer wind in my hair. 

HOLI, like I played in you, such fun, found nowhere. 

I must say you had quite a magical weather as the fall arrived, since your climate was warm, I never expected such a delightful treat from you. Every once in a while I would awaken to discover the gulmohar flowers fall to the cool wind you blew, and it just seemed that life was perfect.

That time when I tried my hand in poetry and held you responsible for my incapabalities reasoning 'how could poetry flow through one in such hot dry and dusty place?' But it is your memories, which are the most beautiful to me now. 

In you reside my roots, my parents, please hold them very tight. 

You are the place where I learned to ride a bike, met most of my best friends, and tasted the best pani puri's in the whole wide world.Those are the things I'll never forget.

Thank you for the memories and thank you for being my home for all those years. you always made me feel safe.

Love from one of yours,
Ashu

No comments: